Medium : 3D Print painted by Acrylic
Scale : 9x4x1.5
Our class was asked to create a simple machine by using 3d printers, and along with this challenge our professor said something along the lines of "I'd be impressed if someone used hinges". For some reason I thought "challenge accepted" and signed myself up for dedicating my time to the fabrication lab. Nearly for 3 weeks I went straight to the studio after class, printing out each part. Each individual holes of the ledges, the sizes of the screws, and caps that goes on the tip of the screws needed to be tested out in order to make sure that nothing was too tight or too loose to prevent this machine from moving smoothly. Also fun fact, the 3d printer company New Matter went out of business and many of the printers were malfunctioning. After 3 weeks of sleep deprivation, numerous mental breakdowns, PAIN, and hard work, I really think that everyone made really impressive works and I was able to learn a lot about 3d printers and engineering aspects of simple machines.
Medium : Paper cut out by Silhouette digital cutter, transparent film, and light source put inside
Scale : 9x7x12
Using the Silhouette digital cutter, we had to pitch a product to appeal to particular audience by creating a paper prototype(I know I used transparent film for durability and a light source, but it's mostly paper).
As more and more people go on to pursue higher education, there is a increasing need to cater to the college students and for people who just graduated college and looking for a job in various places. During college or early on in their career people mostly live in apartments or room leases, or in dorms and these people turn to buying fairy lights for cheap, cost-effective, “pretty” interior lighting. Lighting is crucial and because most college dorm lights or other lights cheap housing options make the room look really depressing, people seek to replace the room light to something else. There is a increase in the target population and for companies like Bed Bath and Beyond or other interior decoration related companies, making products like fairy lights have a higher chance appealing to the these targets. However, fairy lights and numerous products are considered to be a fire hazard so most dorms strictly ban them. So here is a solution.
Ideally this product will be made with a different, more durable material, for example thin cut wood or plastic, and it would be fold-able and rebuild-able to cater to the need of having to move a lot without having to constantly buy and throw out new lights. With thicker but light materials it would be easier to make this product connect with joints like 3d wood puzzles, and that way it should be easier to build, store, and rebuild. Because the mood that the lighting provide is a significant part of this product, this product should have remote control that could change light color and dimness and be able to project screens.
JHU + MICA Collaboration
This design involves a distance sensor that can be attached and detached from cars. The inspiration for this design stems from the fact that older car models are not equipped with the same kind of distance sensing technology as newer models, depriving older car owners from the benefits of knowing their proximity to objects, other cars and pedestrians, particularly those in their blind spots. By creating a distance sensor that is independent of the car, older cars could be retrofitted to provide proximity information to their drivers, improving the world by making driving easier for those car owners in a cost-effective way.
This concept will be demonstrated on a smaller scale in the gallery space by programming a small distance sensor and attaching it to a remote-controlled car. The user will be able to drive the car around the gallery space, and through an obstacle course of various objects. When the car’s sensor comes too close to an object, it will trigger a light to be emitted from the car.
- initial project proposal written by Johns Hopkins collaborators, Charlotte and Chase
For this collaboration project, I built a car with a steering mechanism with 2x4 wood materials, plastic wheels, ropes, and steel rods.
+ the pink arduino sensor holder, and the arduino sensor program's credits are due to the JHU collaborators, and only the chair was made by another MICA student, Julia. I'd also like to thank the professor for the immense help in designing and constructing the structure.